All You Need to Know About Student Loans and Employment Income for Self Assessment
January 2022

All You Need to Know About Student Loans and Employment Income for Self Assessment

If you have a student loan or income from other sources, such as employment salary or rental income, this may affect what you’ll need to pay or the tax rate applied to your self-employment income. Here's what you need to know.

Aaron Beardmore
Aaron Beardmore
Product Manager at Coconut
No items found.

Student loans

The government will take a portion of your salary when you earn above a specific threshold to repay your student loan. For Self Assessment, you will need to know which plan you’re on, so that your tax calculations are correct.

If you’re unsure what student loan plans are or are keen to learn more on the topic, the government website explains everything you need to know about the types of loans and what this means for repayment here.

If you’re unsure what loan plan you’re on, this might be on the documentation you received when you first applied for student finance. Alternatively, you can use the student loan balance site to check. In order to use this service, you’ll need a customer reference number or email address, a password, and your "secret answer".

Employment income

It's important to add your PAYE employment income for the year to your tax return. This is because your salary contributes to your personal tax allowance, and affects the tax rate band that you pay on your self-employment income.

Coconut can anticipate how your PAYE employment income affects your tax rate band and personal allowance, but in order to do so, we need to know the gross pay you expect to earn from employment (the amount pre-tax and deductions).

If you only record your net PAYE income (post-tax and deductions) in your transactions, we won’t know what deductions have already been made. The best way to ensure you get the right number is to update your tax profile in Coconut with both your annual salary and months in employment.

Rental income

If you are a landlord and have rental income and expenses, you’ll have to pay tax on these profits. Log this information in Coconut in the fields below:

Estimated annual rental income: This is the total gross income you expect to receive from your rental properties. 

Estimated annual property expenses: This is the total you expect to pay in expenses on your rental properties.

We’ll use these figures to calculate your expected profit and add this to your tax profile. 

Find more information about income tax, national insurance and student loan rates.


No items found.

Coconut helps you track income, claim expenses and sort your taxes. Start your free trial today.

Sign Up
Sign Up

Keep reading

How to Get the Right Numbers for Your Tax Return Using Coconut

We know that doing your Self Assessment can be a bit overwhelming. But it doesn't have to be that way! This guide will show you how to use the Coconut app to get to the right numbers for your tax return in six simple steps.


What Expenses Can I Claim As a Freelancer?

When you’re self-employed, you can deduct a wide range of business-related costs from your taxable profit. Here’s a handy list of the most common things you can claim for as "allowable expenses".


How to Register as Self-Employed with HMRC

So you've decided to become self-employed—great news! Here's what you need to know about registering as a sole trader with HMRC.

Coconut is the trading name of Coconut Platform Ltd, company number 09904418. Coconut is registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) as an Account Information Service Provider under the Payment Services Regulations 2017 (reference 931194).

Coconut provides some customers with a business current account, but is not a bank. The Coconut current account is an e-money account provided by Prepay Solutions (PPS), a trading name of Prepay Technologies Ltd, which is an electronic money institution authorised by the FCA under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (reference 900010) for the issuing of electronic money.

PPS holds all funds in a safeguarded account in accordance with the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 which protects customers against Coconut or PPS’s insolvency. The Coconut Mastercard is also issued by PPS pursuant to a licence by Mastercard International.