“My dog ate my tax return”: when is it okay not to submit yours?
January 2017

“My dog ate my tax return”: when is it okay not to submit yours?

When is it okay for a freelancer not to submit a tax return? Is a wasp a good excuse? Are HMRC heretics? Find out in this instalment of the Coconut blog.

No items found.
No items found.
No items found.

When is it okay not to pay tax? Never. But when is it okay not to submit a tax return? That is a little more complicated…For the past few years, HMRC have released a list of the worst, or most unusual, excuses they received for late tax return submissions. These include such wonders as:

  • ‘My tax return was on my yacht…which caught fire’
  • ‘I couldn’t complete my tax return, because my husband left me and took our accountant with him. I am currently trying to find a new accountant’
  • ‘I had a cold which took a long time to go’
  • ‘A wasp in my car caused me to have an accident and my tax return, which was inside, was destroyed’
  • and ‘my laptop broke, so did my washing machine’

The purpose of these lists is to remind people that HMRC ‘will not accept spurious excuses,’ but ‘do recognise that a number taxpayers may have difficulties completing their tax return on time.’ Take the example of the wasp above. That’s just silly. But being in a legitimate car crash, or unexpectedly suffering from some other unforeseen event would be acceptable.


Which? list fires, the death of a partner or computer failure as other reasonable excuses. When large parts of the UK were seriously affected by flooding, HMRC specifically mentioned that exceptions would be made for those affected by the floods. But all of these are decided on case-by-case basis. And, fundamentally, are excuses for late returns. If you’re meant to submit one, you’ll still have to. Eventually. However…You don’t need to submit at all if you aren’t required to.If you’re in full-time employment and have no other source of income (why you’re on a freelance site I don’t know, but, hey, all are welcome!) you’re probably part of the pay as you earn (PAYE) scheme. So your employer takes your tax out of your monthly pay cheque. No tax return needed.Likewise, if you’re earning under £11,000 a year – regardless of how you earn it – no tax return needed.If you’re in full-time employment, but do earn additional income – say, through doing some freelance work on the side – you should, in theory, be required to file a tax return. You have, after all, earned extra income which has not been taxed.However, as an HMRC spokesperson told The Telegraph in 2015: “we don’t want anyone to fill in a tax return unless it’s absolutely necessary.” And, believe it or not, they aren’t kidding.If you earn an extra income of under £3,000, you can pay tax on it through your PAYE code. You’ll have to phone them, which can be a quest unto itself, but you won’t need to register to file a tax return.This can be a blessing, as once you register you will always have to return one – even if you made no additional money outside of your full-time job that year. And it’s much harder remembering to fill out something simply for the sake of it.But you’ll still be fined for a late submission, even if you owe them nothing.People don’t like the people who take their money: even the Bible makes a big deal of Jesus mingling with a tax collector. They’ve never been popular. But HMRC aren’t demons. If you’re self-employed and earning more than £11,000, you’re filling in a tax return. But if something terrible happens, let them know. And make sure you get it to them as soon as you can.


No items found.

Coconut helps you track income, claim expenses and sort your taxes. Start your free trial today.

Sign Up
Sign Up

Keep reading

How to Get the Right Numbers for Your Tax Return Using Coconut

We know that doing your Self Assessment can be a bit overwhelming. But it doesn't have to be that way! This guide will show you how to use the Coconut app to get to the right numbers for your tax return in six simple steps.


What Expenses Can I Claim As a Freelancer?

When you’re self-employed, you can deduct a wide range of business-related costs from your taxable profit. Here’s a handy list of the most common things you can claim for as "allowable expenses".


How to Register as Self-Employed with HMRC

So you've decided to become self-employed—great news! Here's what you need to know about registering as a sole trader with HMRC.

Coconut is the trading name of Coconut Platform Ltd, company number 09904418. Coconut is registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) as an Account Information Service Provider under the Payment Services Regulations 2017 (reference 931194).

Coconut provides some customers with a business current account, but is not a bank. The Coconut current account is an e-money account provided by Prepay Solutions (PPS), a trading name of Prepay Technologies Ltd, which is an electronic money institution authorised by the FCA under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (reference 900010) for the issuing of electronic money.

PPS holds all funds in a safeguarded account in accordance with the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 which protects customers against Coconut or PPS’s insolvency. The Coconut Mastercard is also issued by PPS pursuant to a licence by Mastercard International.