Self-Employed Tax Rates For 2022/23: Sole Traders
Tax tips
March 2022

Self-Employed Tax Rates For 2022/23: Sole Traders

If you're self-employed as a sole trader, here’s a summary of the key self-employed tax allowances, income tax and VAT rates, and National Insurance Contributions you need to know for the 2022/23 tax year.

Hannah Watkins
Hannah Watkins
Marketing Lead at Coconut
No items found.
No items found.
No items found.

As always, a new tax year brings a new set of tax rates to be aware of. Below we’ll cover the self-employed tax allowance and tax rates for self-employed people in the UK; specifically sole traders. 

There are some key changes from 2021/22, especially when it comes to National Insurance Contributions—so it’s definitely worth familiarising yourself with them to ensure you’ve set enough aside for when you do your Self Assessment tax return.

How much can you earn tax-free when you’re self-employed?

Personal Allowance

Everyone—employed or self-employed—has a Personal Allowance that resets at the beginning of each tax year. This is the amount that you can earn tax-free. 

The Personal Allowance for self-employed people in 2022/23 is the same as it was in the last tax year—you’ll only pay tax on anything above the £12,570 Personal Allowance threshold.

Earnings Bracket

Personal Allowance

£100,001 – £125,140
Your personal allowance will decrease by £1 for every £2 of income over £100,000
Over £125,140

As you’ll see in the table, the amount of Personal Allowance you have changes based on how much you earn, and reduces once you earn more than £100,000. Here are a few examples to show you how this works in practice: 

  1. If you earn £18,000 in the tax year, you will have the full self-employed Personal Allowance, meaning you’ll only be taxed on any income over £12,750: £5,430.
£18,000-£12,570 = £5,430
  1. If you earn £110,000 in the tax year, your Personal Allowance will be reduced by £5,000 (£1 per every £2 over £100,000) to £7,570, meaning your taxable income will be £102,430.
£110,000-£7,570 = £102,430
  1. If you earn £150,000 in the tax year, you’ll no longer have any Personal Allowance, meaning your whole income will be taxed.
£150,000-0 = £150,000

Trading income allowance

Another self-employed tax allowance to be aware of is the trading allowance. This is £1,000 per tax year that you can use against any income made from self-employment—and the good news is that it can be used as well as your Personal Allowance.

This is particularly useful if you are employed, but have made some additional self-employed earnings (e.g. through a side hustle). 

If you earn less than £1,000 in self-employed income, you don't even have to register as self-employed, and don't need to do a tax return. If you earn more than £1,000, you’ll have to do both of those things—but you can use the trading allowance to deduct £1,000 from your income. 

If you do choose to leverage your trading allowance, do note that you'll then be unable to claim any other expenses. So if your self-employed expenses end up totalling more than £1,000 at the end of the tax year, you’re better off claiming those instead.

Self-employed income tax rates for 2022/23

For sole traders based in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, 2022/23 income tax rates and bands remain the same as they were in 2021/22. All income that you earn over and above your Personal Allowance will be taxed as follows:

Tax bands


Earnings below personal allowance (£12,570)
No income tax payable
Basic rate (£12,571- £50,270)
Higher rate (£50,271 – £150,000)
Additional rate (Over £150,000)

If you live in Scotland, different income tax rates apply. Note that the tax bands have changed slightly since the last tax year.

Tax bands


Earnings below personal allowance (£12,570)
No income tax payable
Starter rate (£12,571- £14,732)
Basic rate (£14,733 and £25,688)
Intermediate rate (£25,689 and £43,662)
Higher rate (£43,663 and £150,000)
Additional rate (Over £150,000)

National Insurance rates 2022/23

As a sole trader, in addition to income tax, you’ll also need to pay National Insurance Contributions to HMRC. The amount you need to pay depends on your profits (your income minus your allowable expenses). There are two forms of National Insurance to be aware of as a sole trader: Class 2 and Class 4.

Between the Spring Statement and the mini-budget, there have been a number of changes to National Insurance contributions for the 2022/23 tax year. You can find the most up-to-date rates in the following tables:

Class 2:

Profits (per year)


Below £11,908
£0 – no Class 2 payable

Class 4:

Profits (per year)


Below £11,908
£0 – no Class 4 payable
£11,908 – £50,270
Over £50,270

Payments on account

One point worth noting is that you may need to make advance payments towards your tax bill when it comes to your Self Assessment for 2021/22—these are known as payments on account and are made twice a year: on 31st January and 31st July.

Each payment is half of your liability from last year’s tax bill. If this is your first year as a sole trader, it is unlikely you’ll have made payments on account before. So for those of you completing your tax return for the first time, it would look a little like this:

Say you’re preparing your Self Assessment tax return for the 2021/22 tax year. You’ve worked as a sole trader for the full tax year, and have no other sources of income. After all calculations are considered, your tax bill comes to £5,000.

Your payments to HMRC will then be broken out as follows:

  • Self Assessment 2021/22 balancing payment: £5,000 – due 31st January 2023
  • 1st payment on account for 2022/23: £2,500 – due 31st January 2023
  • 2nd payment on account for 2022/23: £2,500 – due 31st July 2023

So that means that on 31st January 2023, rather than just paying the £5,000 you owe for 2021/22, you’ll be asked for an additional £2,500 as an advance on next year’s tax bill.

However, you won't need to make these payments if:

  • your last Self Assessment tax bill was below £1,000
  • you’ve paid more than 80% of the tax you owe, for example through your tax code

Value Added Tax (VAT) rates

Once the annual revenue of your company reaches £85,000 within a one year period, you’ll need to register for Value Added Tax (VAT): a tax paid on most goods and services.

Once you’ve registered, you’ll then need to start charging VAT on your sales, but you can also reclaim VAT on purchases.

Should you become VAT-registered?

If you’re under the VAT threshold, deciding whether to become VAT-registered requires a bit of thought, as you have to decide whether to increase your price to charge the VAT onto your customers, or keep the prices the same and pay the VAT yourself—thus reducing your profits. 

If your customers are businesses and mainly VAT-registered, it’s easier to charge them VAT, because they’re likely to be able to claim it back. But if your customers aren’t businesses and aren’t VAT registered, the increase in price could have a negative impact on your sales.

Managing VAT is where it can start to get slightly complicated as there are a few different rates and VAT schemes to be aware of. It requires careful record-keeping of all transactions and the rate of VAT they were charged at.

You can find the standard VAT rates outlined below—they have not changed since the last tax year:

VAT Type


Standard – applicable to most goods and services
Reduced rate – a lower rate applicable to certain goods and services
Zero rate – applied to specific goods and services such as food, books, newspapers, children’s clothes

Easily stay on top of your taxes

So, there we have it! A summary of the tax rates for sole traders in the 2022/23 tax year.

With so many things to consider, keeping on top of how much tax you’ll owe when you’re self-employed can be tricky—especially when your income can fluctuate from month to month. 

But by using Coconut’s smart tax app to manage your finances, you can easily track all of your income and outgoings throughout the year, meaning you’ll always know how much to set aside for tax. So you’ll be well-prepared for your tax returns, and never be caught out by a surprise tax bill!

Try Coconut free for 30 days, no card details required—it’ll revolutionise your finances.


No items found.

Keep reading

Six key things to consider when choosing an accountant

Choosing an accountant is a key decision. Find the right accountant and they’ll make your life easier, while helping you to maximise your income and minimise your tax bills.


How to get your sole trader clients to love you

There are a few important ways that you can help your sole trader clients to save time and money and become more successful. Why wouldn’t they love you for that?


Newly self-employed? Read answers to 15 Self Assessment FAQs

When you become a sole trader, you’ll also need to register for Self Assessment and comply with its requirements. Here are the answers to 15 Self Assessment frequently asked questions.